Top Ten Records of 2012
I buy a lot of old music and I don’t always achieve ten current year purchases but the top records that I bought in
1. The Beachwood Sparks – Tarnished Gold
One of my favourite bands and this new album contains some truly beautiful Byrds like harmonies and pedal steel.
2. Jens Lekman – I know What Love Isn’t
One of my favourite songwriters, currently delving into heartbreak.
3. Beginner’s Guide to Country – Nascent Records
A great compilation covering Capitol Records’ country output from the 60s and 70s. Some very weird and rare country gospel songs that set the imagination running.
4. Sun Kil Moon – Among the Leaves
Another fine release from Mark Kozelek focussing on the trials of the touring musician…I can relate.
5. Dr. Feelgood – All Through City
Not strictly new music for 2012 but this 4 CD box set complete with all recordings, TV appearances and book covering the Wilko Johnson years is great for anyone wanting to get a complete overview of early Feelgood.
6. Bob Dylan – Tempest
Lyrically I thought Tempest was an interesting turn for Bob Dylan and I am sure this is the first time he swears on record? And he does it a few times.
7. Folk Police Recordings Compilation - Weirdlore
A wonderful compilation of English leftfield folk.
8. Marie Sioux/ Bonnie Prince Billy – Love Skulls EP
I bought this on limited edition vinyl while on tour in April. I had to keep it safe for two weeks and it was well worth it. Love Skulls is one of my favourite songs of 2012…mystical, mesmerising, beautiful, dramatic.
9. Simone Felice – Simone Felice
I toured this album a lot this year. It’s dark and touching in equal measure.
10. Kate Denny – Closer to Home
Kate is a fantastic English folk artist who I am lucky to know. This album is well worth a spin.